This is the third of a connected series of three plans made at York, UC, in October 1833 by Capt. Richard Bonnycastle, Senior Royal Engineer in the Western District of Upper Canada, working under close direction from Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Colborne. The other maps in the series are [here] and [here]. A short while before, Colborne had been authorized to sell part of the Military Reserve to allow for the town's expansion, with the proceeds going to the construction of a new fort.
Important to note here is that the layout of the new fort has now begun to resemble what was built half a dozen years later, although what’s shown here is much more heavily-walled. Both Colborne and Bonnycastle played a big role in moving the project forward.
Click the map to view a full size version (3MB).
No. 3 Plan and Sections of the New Work proposed to be erected on the Military Reserve farther to the westward for the defence of the entrance of the York Harbour agreeably to the wishes of His Excellency M Genl Sir John Colborne K.C.B. Lt. Governor of Upper Canada
by Gustavus Nicolls / RH Bonnycastle, 1833.
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC23143
Next map: 1841 Biscoe: No. 1. New Barrack Establishment, Toronto, as completed
Back to: The ‘New’ Fort (Stanley Barracks)