This plan is in three parts: the 'Old' Fort, the New Fort, and where there had been encroachments on the Reserve. Click the map to view a full-size version of the New Fort detail (Note: the thumbnail shows the entire plan).
With the opening of the New Fort in 1842, the old military hospital that existed up the Garrison Creek ravine was closed in favour of a facility within the New Fort much larger than was needed to serve its population.
[New Fort Detail from] Toronto, C.W. Sketch shewing the Harbour and Ordnance Property, with the Encroachments on the latter coloured yellow. C.G.G. Lt R.E. 11/7/46 ... J.D. 31/7/46
[Sgd] C.G.G[ray] Lt. R.E. - probably stands for C.G. Gray, a Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers stationed in Canada in 1846
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC11444
Winearls, MUC no. 2081
Next map: 1870 Wily: Toronto Old Fort/Toronto New Barracks
Back to: The ‘New’ Fort (Stanley Barracks)