The Great Western linked Toronto, Niagara and Sarnia through Hamilton. It competed vigorously with the other two railways that served Toronto—the OS&H and GTR—but was challenged itself by the crowded conditions on the west side of Toronto as it sought to establish its depot there. In his report to the directors of the company in May, 1855, G. Lowe Reid, the Chief Engineer, reported with pride, “You have secured possession of eleven acres of the Ordnance land at the west end of the Queen's Wharf adjoining the Old Fort, on which the permanent engine house and the temporary passenger house and sidings will be laid down.”
Click the map to view a full size version.
Plan showing portions of the Military Reserve taken by the "Toronto & Hamilton" (now a branch of the Great Western) Railway Company, together with the buildings within and near the boundaries of the lands so taken &c. as explained in the table of Reference herewith annexed.
Surveyed by: and drawn by Chas. Walkem, Surveyor & draftsman, R.E. Depart. May 1856.
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC 4976
Next map: 1856 Ord/Pilkington: Plan Shewing Terminus Forming by the Grand Trunk Rail Road Company
Back to: The Railways