Both Sandford Fleming and Collingwood Schreiber were railway engineers as well as surveyors, so it is no surprise their map is the benchmark for recording the railway building in the 1850s. It showed how completely the railways enveloped Fort York, with the GWR and GTR being the chief offenders. The GTR's cruciform Engine House dominated the fort's east end. It was constructed on part of the ten acres of land that the GTR had reclaimed from the lake. Another ten acres at the depot and the rail corridor to the west was formerly Ordnance land. Thomas Blackwell, managing director of the GTR, copied FR&S's plan in in his report to the GTR's directors in 1859.
Click the map to view a full size version (note: 7+mb file — takes awhile to load).
Plan of the City of Toronto Canada West 1857 // Published by Fleming Ridout & Schreiber Lithographed by J. Ellis 8 King St. Toronto C.W.
Image courtesy of City of Toronto Archives: Fonds 2, Series 88, File 13
Winearls, MUC no. 2131; see also Winearls, MUC no. 2137 (Blackwell)
Next map: 1859 anon: Plan of the Grand Trunk Queen's Wharf Station
Back to: The Railways