Landscape has long been held to have restorative powers, and those running the Asylum wanted their patients to enjoy walking in the grounds, since their liberties were constrained otherwise. Curvilinear paths, ornamental flower beds, orchards and plantations of trees all contributed to feelings of repose, while three splashing fountains added animation and delight. One stood in front on axis with the main door; two others were in the quadrangle formed by the principal building and its wings. A greenhouse was built to nurture seedlings and provide flowers during the colder months.
Click the map to view a full size version.
Map of the Lunatic Asylum Toronto, December 23, 1891. Ontario Department of Public Works
Image courtesy Archives of Ontario. RG 15-18-1, Vol. 17-7.
Next Map: 1968 Somerville, McMurrich & Oxley: Master Plan—Queen Street Mental Health Centre
Back to: The Lunatic Asylum