In 1905, shortly after being given effective control over Fort York by the Government of Canada, City Council proposed to run a double tramline to the CNE through the middle of the fort—in one end and out the other—which would have demolished both the east and west gates as well as the buildings known today as the Blue Barracks and North Soldiers' Barracks. The fort's partisans put up a spirited defence, holding public meetings, lobbying officials and prompting editorials and petitions of protest. And when in early 1907 council asked the electors' approval to borrow $125,000 to defray the costs of bridge-building for the streetcar line, it was defeated by a margin of more than two to one. The proposal appears on this map which also identifies the fort's buildings and gates. It shows also how Park Blackwell's meat packing plant sat close on the fort's east end.
Click the sketch to view a full size version.
Proposed New Street Railway Route to Exhibition Grounds Through The Old Fort, 1905
Attributed to Owen Staples
Image courtesy of Toronto Public Library: C 2-35
Next map: 1906 Unwin: Plan Shewing Exhibition Park and Garrison Commons, Toronto
Back to: ‘Old’ Fort York