This is part of the survey attached to the grant of 184.31 acres made on 17 May 1909 by the Crown in Right of Canada, in effect the federal government, conveying Fort York and the CNE Grounds to the City of Toronto. How little Ottawa esteemed the national patrimony at the time is obvious in grants it made in 1898, only a short while before, to the Canadian Pacific Railway Co. and Park Blackwell & Co., pork packers, which sideswiped the historic precinct. Even as late as 1901 Park Blackwell was allowed another small parcel of land that enabled it to encroach upon the fort's east ramparts and southeast bastion. The graves of five soldiers who had died in the Battle of York in 1813 were disturbed in the process. See the story here.
Click the images to view in full-size.
Plan Shewing Exhibition Park and Garrison Commons, Toronto Ont by Charles Unwin, O. L. S., 12th Sept. 1906.
Attached to grant of Garrison Common lands to City of Toronto, 17 May 1909.
Image courtesy City of Toronto Archives.
Next map: 1918 [City Surveyor]: Military Burying Ground, showing locations of surviving markers
Back to: ‘Old’ Fort York