Entering Exhibition Place through the Princes' Gates today, the Stanley Barracks is soon seen on the left, across a broad, parking lot beyond the Automotive Building. This map from a contemporary archaeological report helps an appreciation of the former extent of the New Fort.
Click the map to view a full size version.
Composite map of the New Fort, circa 1840-1950 within the context of the CNE grounds
from 1995 Final Report on Phase 1-5 Archaeological Investigation in the National Trade Centre Construction Areas, Canadian National Exhibition Grounds, Toronto, Ontario.
Report on file, Ontario Ministry of Culture, Toronto.
Image courtesy Archaeological Services Inc.
Next Chapter: Wharves and Waterfront
Back to: The Exhibition Grounds