This plan, drawn on the eve of the transformation of the waterfront by the railways, shows a slightly enlarged Queen's Wharf, and two other wharves serving the Reserve, one in front of the New Fort and a second midway between the old and new forts to permit the landing of firewood at the Commissariat Fuel Yard. Nearby stands a pump house that supplied the Lunatic Asylum on Queen Street with fresh water from the lake. Further east at the foot of Peter Street, the Toronto Waterworks Company built in 1842 occupies a site between the Royal Engineers' Office and the Commissariat Yard.
Click the map to view a full-size version (pdf).
Toronto Plan to accompany the returns called for by Board's order, 10 Jan. 1851
Captain Alexander Gordon; copied by William Mahony
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC43216
Next map: 1852 Howard: Sketch of a Design for Laying out the North Shore of the Toronto Harbour in Pleasure Drives, Walks and Shrubbery for the Recreation of the Citizens
Back to: Wharves and Waterfront