As the title-holder to many of the waterlots along the western waterfront, the Toronto Harbour Commissioners took the lead in planning the development of parks and drives throughout the area, including this fanciful scheme that would have bridged the Western Gap to deliver vehicles to Toronto Island. Fort York figures in this scheme not at all.
Click the map to view a full size version.
[Western Detail from] The Toronto Harbor Commissioners Engineering Department Waterfront Development, 1912
Frederick Law Olmsted, Consulting/Landscape/Architect
Image courtesy University of Toronto Map and Data Library: G3524.T621 G45 9 1912
Note: 'Olmsted' here refers to Frederick Law Olmsted Jr., the son of the famous American designer of Central Park in New York City.
Next map: 1940 Tvedte: Camp Little Norway
Back to: Wharves and Waterfront