This plan was made when the Lieutenant-Governor was still awaiting his superiors’ decision on whether a large part of the Garrison Reserve would be leased or sold to raise funds for a new fort. The matter was settled in favour of selling lots in 1833, but then was limited to the area east of the Garrison Creek. What James Chewett shows here is the subdivision of a much larger area of the Reserve, east of the Creek but also north of King Street extended, and west of a line established by present-day Shaw Street. A road allowance is proposed along the shore of the Lake Ontario. He located only two of the four public spaces in the area east of the Creek—Victoria Memorial and West Market Squares; McDonell and Clarence Squares would emerge later in Bonnycastle’s plans of 1833-37.
Click the map to view a full size version.
Plan of Survey of the Lands for Lease to the York Garrison in the Township of York Home District
York 25th May 1831 [Sgd] J Chewett Surveyor
Source: Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Office of the Surveyor General. SR6074 O14-20
© 2013 Queens Printer Ontario
Winearls, MUC no. 2061
Next map: 1833 Bonnycastle: No. 2 Plan of Comparison shewing ... the site of the new Barrack ... means shall be furnished from the Sale of that part of the Military Reserve given up for the improvement of the Town
Back to: East of Garrison Creek