|Sketch of the Old Fort -1865. Watercolour by Captain J. Elgee, |
34th Regiment, National Army Museum, London. Seen here are
passenger carriages in front of the ramparts, with the
buildings of the fort behind.
Most interesting is the turntable and service bays inside the cruciform Engine House which the Grand Trunk erected south of the fort in 1855-56. Note that Bathurst ends at Front Street. When a new bridge to the Queen's Wharf was constructed there in 1860, the remains of fifteen American soldiers were found buried in a trench.
Click the map to view a full size version.
[Plan showing the line of the Grand Trunk Railway in the City of Toronto], 1859
Grand Trunk Railway.
Map courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC16924
[with retrieval assistance from Derek Hayes]
Next map: 1872-3 Wadsworth & Unwin: Plans of Ordnance Lands . . . Proposed to be Purchased by the G.W. Ry. Company
Back to: The Railways