By 1878 the Toronto City Fathers were tiring of seeing the fair in their midst only at intervals, and of having to maintain a large building that stood empty most of the time. Accordingly, in 1879 they fostered the organization of the Industrial Exhibition Association to operate an annual fair at Toronto and the CNE was born. The old Crystal Palace was taken apart and moved to the new fair grounds, east of Dufferin Street between the Toronto-Hamilton rail corridor and Lake Ontario, which has been the heart of the CNE since.
1872 Wadsworth & Unwin: Map of the City of Toronto (with manuscript additions shewing real estate exemptions from taxation, 1878)
1995 Archaeological Services Inc.: Composite map of the New Fort, circa 1840-1950 within the context of the CNE grounds
Proceed to Next Chapter: Wharves and Waterfront