In 1848 H.M. Board of Ordnance leased for 999 years all the Reserve west of Garrison Creek to the Corporation of The City of Toronto for a park. Excluded were a wide buffer around the Old and New Forts, the Lunatic Asylum lands, and the site of Farr's Brewery on Queen Street. A mere three years later the Board demanded the surrender of the lease, citing the need for the land to settle military pensioners. The whole sad story is found here (p2).
Click the map to view a full size version.
Plan for the Western Park, ca. 1848 by John Howard.
Image courtesy: City of Toronto, Museum Services/Culture Division
Next map: 1851 Fleming: Topographical plan of the city of Toronto, in the province of Canada, from actual survey
Back to: The Military Reserve