The following plan by J. Stoughton Dennis shows his original survey laying out what would become Draper Street, as registered by landowners William George Draper (son of the Hon. William Henry Draper) and Charles Jones.
Developed in several phases from 1881 to 1889, the intimate Second Empire-styled row cottages which line Draper Street were all designated as heritage properties by the City of Toronto in the 1990s. Of note is the relatively narrow width of the street—32 feet (just a little under half a surveyor’s chain).
An overview of the development of Draper Street may be found here (PDF; see p.6).
Click the map to view a full size version.
Plan of the Subdivision of Lots 14 & 15 Wellington Place and 5 Ontario Terrace of Section A in the Original Survey of the Garrison Reserve at Toronto. July 15, 1856.
Certified correct from Survey: J. Stoughton Dennis, P.L.S.
[Signatures] W[illiam] Geo[rge] Draper, Owner of lot no. five; Charles Jones owner of Lots fourteen and fifteen
Courtesy Ministry of Government Services, Toronto Land Registry Office: R.P. 171
Winearls, MUC no. B2531
Next map: 1884 Unwin, Browne & Sankey: Plan of the old Military Burying Ground Victoria Square, Toronto
Back to: East of Garrison Creek