Map No. 1 shows the town of York, its harbour and its surrounds south of Queen Street, from The Portlands in the east (although they weren’t called that then) to Humber Bay in the west. It puts in context the whole of the original Military Reserve and the peninsula that protected the harbour.
The process of alienating lands from the Military Reserve began in 1808/10 when 22 acres at the east end beyond the 1000-yard firing radius of the cannon at Fort York were granted to William Halton and John McDonell. On this plan a 240-acre parcel on the lake several yards west of the fort is labelled ‘Commonly called Brock's Land—now clearing.’ Before the War of 1812 it too had formed part of the Reserve, but in March 1812 was conveyed by Order in Council to Capt. James Brock, a cousin and the private secretary of Maj.-General Isaac Brock. See here for more on James Brock.
No. 1 Plan of the Town and Harbour of York Upper Canada and also of the Military Reserve Showing the site of the new Barracks and Work around them, as proposed to be erected near the Western Battery. Royal Engineer Office York U. Canada 31st Octr 1833 (Signed) RH Bonnycastle Captn Royl Engrs Senr Off. Western District U.C. E.J. Ford Lt Royal Engineers Decr 5th 1833 Gusts Nicolls Colonel Comg R Engineer Canada
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC16818
Winearls, MUC No. 2063 (2)
See also this article (p2) on Streetnames West of Dufferin for more on what became of this parcel of land — now known as Parkdale.
Next map: 1834 Chewett: Plan of the City of Toronto and Liberties
Back to: The Military Reserve