A distinction is made between encroachments and lands held under approved lease, such as Duffy's where the Concession Road [Dufferin Street] meets the lake, and Mr. Farr's Brewery lot on the Lakeshore Road [Queen Street] where it crosses the Garrison Creek. The encroachments are shown in yellow:
(a) Mr. McDonnell on the Lakeshore Road [Queen St.] at the Concession Road [Dufferin Street].
(b) Mr. Troy near at the Lakeshore Road [Queen St.] and the Concession Road [Dufferin Street].
(c) and (d) Messrs. Clarke and Baynes for a brewery on the Garrison Creek, south of Farr's Brewery and the Lakeshore Road [Queen Street].
(e) Not entered
(f) Dr. Rees, adjacent to his wharf at the foot of Simcoe Street
(g) The City Water Company, on the lake at the foot of Peter Street
Toronto, C.W. Sketch shewing the Harbour and Ordnance Property, with the Encroachments on the latter coloured yellow. C.G.G. Lt R.E. 11/7/46 ... J.D. 31/7/46
[Sgd] C.G.G[ray] Lt. R.E. - probably stands for C.G. Gray, a Lieutenant in the Royal Engineers stationed in Canada in 1846
Image courtesy Library and Archives Canada: NMC11444
Winearls, MUC no. 2081
Next map: 1848 Howard: Plan for the Western Park
Back to: The Military Reserve